Thursday, June 25, 2009

Mills Response

This posting is in response to Mill's article, "Access to Multiliteracies: a Critical Ethnography." Given my own interest in new literacies, I found this article to be quite interesting. This article caused me to consider something that I wrote once, regarding the integration of multimodal themesets into a creole speaking classroom to bridge the primary and secondary literacies of the students. I would like to someday, when the funds are available, to conduct critical ethnography to see precisely how theme-sets might be integrated into the classroom. Mill's does a fantastic job of depicting her research procedures and stresses the importance of a drawing from a strong theoretical base.

Questions that I may need to ask myself, moving forward with my own research, include the following:

  • How does my sample population fit into the larger social order (see chart on p. 310).
  • Are there any participants that I am unaware of? Perhaps school administrators, or other authority figures who are not directly interacting with students in the class...what role might they play in a given study?

This article serves as a nice example of how to articulate the events of a study.

No comments:

Post a Comment